Giving oneself a facial is one of life’s little pleasures. However, with the pandemic causing spas throughout the country to close and the risk of contracting COVID-19 still present and OMICRON may coming, at-home facial is the next best option.
Fortunately, skin care products and equipment on the market make taking face measures at home a breeze.
The objective is to start with a blank slate in order to maximise each stage. If you’re wearing makeup, the conventional guideline is to apply a cleaning lotion or oil first. Then, to eliminate residue, you cleanse again with a mildly foaming gel or exfoliating cleanser.
“The emollients used in cosmetics are more efficiently eliminated with other emollients”.
Begin by kneading the lotion or oil into dry skin. Then, moisten your hands and rub it one more. Rinsing with a microfiber towel to give lifting action and ensure that everything comes off.
Cleanse once more with a sulphate-free, low-foaming gel containing nourishing ingredients. These ingredients will not dry out your skin.
Exfoliating removes dead skin cells from the skin’s surface and ensures that the remainder of the products you apply are adequately absorbed.
Exfoliators are classified into several types:
- Chemical exfoliators are acids, such as lactic or glycolic acid, that aid in the removal of dead skin cells.
- Facial scrubs, at-home microdermabrasion equipment, and derma-planning blades are examples of physical exfoliators.
Use both physical and chemical exfoliators for the best at-home facial, beginning with an acid exfoliant.
After around 10 minutes, follow it up with a physical scrape to ensure you truly eliminate the dead skin cells.
If you’re steaming at home, limit yourself to 5–10 minutes. You risk dehydration if you stay any longer. You may use an at-home steamer now that your skin has been freshly exfoliated.
There are various advantages to steaming –
- It raises the interior warmth of the skin and dilates the pores somewhat.
- Steaming causes the hardened oils in the pores called blackheads to dissolve somewhat, making extractions easier.
- It improves circulation flow to the skin and is incredibly moisturising since it adds moisture to the skin.
You should never leave your skin naked after steaming since it will get tight and you will lose all of your moisture.
Steaming may not be appropriate for people who have skin conditions such as melasma. Consult a dermatologist if you’re unclear whether steaming is the right approach for your skin.
If you want to extract your own blackheads, make sure you do it correctly to avoid damaging your skin and pores.
Follow the manufacturer’s directions if you’re using an extractor tool.
If you’re going to use your fingers, make sure you fully wash your hands.
Tissue should be wrapped around your fingers.
Squeeze once with your fingers around the comedo.
Change your posture to avoid marking your skin or causing inflammation, then press again.
If nothing comes out, it’s time to go on.
Apply a topical acne treatment.
Masks come in a variety of styles, including.
- Clay – The clay aids in the removal of pollutants from the skin. “It signifies the mask is overly powerful if it dries and fractures into a million pieces. Seek for a moisturising mask loaded with skin-nourishing ingredients.
- Gel – Gel masks are cooling and relaxing to the face and are suitable for all skin types, particularly those sensitive to redness and rosacea.
- Cream – They are ideal for those with dry skin who want additional lipids, oils, and nourishing ingredients.
- Sheet Mask – Sheet masks are generally gels that are injected with a water-based hydration. These masks are particularly ideal for people with dry skin.
Serums are excellent remedies for certain skin issues such as wrinkles and discoloration. Active compounds in serums include niacinamide, antioxidants, peptides, vitamins A, C, and E, and even topical retinols.
- Moisturizing lowers the likelihood of skin issues.
- It can help to lessen the visibility of additional imperfections.
- Moisturizing helps to prevent wrinkles.
- It keeps your skin looking fresh.
- It’s the ideal way to conclude a hot shower.
A little massage in your facial not only feels good, but it also helps to promote circulation and lymphatic drainage. This can leave you with a radiant, de-puffed skin.
It may also help to alleviate dullness and skin irritation.
You are free to use your fingers.
Work your way outward from the centre, always going upward. Make sure there’s enough product around the eyes if you’re going to work on them. You should avoid tugging on that area since the tissue surrounding the eyes is significantly thinner.
If you have oily skin, you should be cautious about putting an oil on top of your moisturiser because it really helps to balance out your sebum production.
The Bottom Line
You can give yourself a superb spa-quality facial at home if you use the appropriate materials and follow the instructions in the correct order.